Emerging technologies sparking innovation at DPTI
The Department for Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) Library recently hosted their first ‘Lunch and Learn’ session for 2017 with a deep-dive into emerging technologies at the Office for Design + Architecture on Leigh St. Chamonix, in partnership with Cortex Interactive, were invited to present on, and demonstrate the application of, Virtual and Augmented Reality solutions to guests from across Government and industry.
Over 50+ attendees from DPTI, Renewal SA, Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources, Adelaide City Council, Adelaide Smart City Studio and Department of State Development were able to experience emerging technologies in action, and hear from a number of guest speakers and subject matter experts including Tim Angel, Managing Director of Cortex Interactive.
Virtual and mixed reality technologies were a focus, with potential applications for DPTI including:
- Virtual fire training e.g. operating a fire extinguisher to put out a fire
- National rail level crossing inspection training
- Driverless care use e.g. how a passenger might react to driverless modes of operation
- Urban Planning and Planning Decisions
- Ability to visualise and model planning scenarios for various developments, which could provide further value for planning authorities and developers to demonstrate and assess likely impact of proposals
It was a pleasure participating in the interactive session, and we look forward to working with clients to uncover and develop commercial applications for VR technologies.